Today is a bright and clear day. We are at the end of winter. In the Pati de Tarrega chestnut trees open and raise their branches to the sky. On one side of the square is the monument to the musician Ramon Carnicer and on the other the monument to the Països Catalans by Andreu Alfaro.
Cervera Street, also called Carme Street, invites us to delve into what was the walled wall of the Vila. Old stone houses, on both sides of the street, coexist with new and clumsy buildings. Old shops, new shops and anonymous franchises. Glazed premises, clogged facades and narrow alleys. In the background, perpetual and ubiquitous, the belfry is imposed on a sky filled with blue.
Going down to the right, there is the wide eaves of Cal Segarra, a bourgeois, modernist and devout house of Our Lady of Montserrat, which covers the entrance, surrounded by singing angels. Further down, the attention goes to the harmonious facade of the Palace of the Marquesos de la Floresta. Slender Romanesque with beautiful Gothic elements.
Right there, the stone darkened by the years of the Gothic windows of the Sobies hospital tells us of a forgotten splendor. Next to it, the building built where the demolished porches of the Tàrrega’s house of the lords of Càrcer and Sobies stood, reminds us of the memory of the poet Alfons Costafreda.
There are the porches that lower and rest, opposite which, on the other side of Santa Anna Street, go to Cal Postes, under the bell tower. Arriving at this place, we enter the cozy Plaça dels Àlbers, old moat of the Vila, to contemplate the grandeur of the immense mola of the bell tower and the simple elegance of the building of Cal Palau.
Returning to Calle del Carme, the porch is narrower and more cozy, and the modernist building of Cal Bergadà stands out. At the end, next to the Portal de Llevant of the parish church, stands the solid vault, which serves as a buttress of the dome of Santa Maria de l’Alba, dated 1693.
We enter the Plaza Mayor, to the left, the greatness of Cal Casals with the beautiful forge and stained glass gallery, the post-war historicist building of La Caixa, the porches of the street and the Plaza Mayor, and the reconstructed building. of the Town Hall, which on the original facade of 1764, bears the motto of the old Paeria: “Antiqua Tarrega Foelix Villa”.
The protagonist of the Plaza Mayor, is the monumental baroque construction of the whole of the parish church of Santa Maria de l’Alba. In February 1672, the bell tower of the old medieval church of Santa Maria collapsed and much of the Romanesque-Gothic church was demolished. That same summer, the construction of the new temple began.
We finish our walk in the middle of the Plaza Mayor. There is a copy of the restored Creu del Pati. It is a first-rate sculptural work. The original remains will be seen in the Urgell Local Museum, very close there, on the same main street.
Jaume Ramon Solé.