In 1860, the railway line Barcelona – Manresa – Lleida arrives in Tàrrega. This fact and the construction years before, in 1854, of the road of Montblanc in La Seu, and later the road of Tàrrega to Balaguer and to Alcarràs, as well as the real road between Madrid and Barcelona, located the still Villa de Tàrrega, as a strategic point of communication between the sea and the mountains and between interior Catalonia and industrial Catalonia.
The existence of these infrastructures was essential for the future development of the Urgell commercial and service sector for much of the 20th century. The area of influence of Tàrrega and the neighboring towns, went far beyond its natural region. The new investments attracted population and labour from Segarra and Urgell. The generation of wealth fostered social, civic, educational and cultural initiatives, which laid the foundations of a cultural, commercial and industrial spirit so typical of our lands.
The heritage site of the Tàrrega train station preserves, in its northern area, an important and unique railway space of the 19th century, of great historical value and formed by a quay or elevated loading platform with well-worked stone tiles, Above it is located a warehouse with wooden handicrafts, the iron structure of a flat tile roof, which was in the process of restoration, and a crane located next to the road, also very well restored by the municipal training school “La Solana”.
In the publication URTX nº 10 of the Regional Museum of Urgell, Roger Costa Solé, graduate in Geography and History and technician of ethnological heritage of the Department of Culture of the Generality of Catalonia and Carles Garcia Hermosilla, Director of the Ter Industrial Museum state: “In Tàrrega the station still preserves an interesting set. The most outstanding feature is the loading and unloading dock, with a wooden shed and iron structure that must be from the beginning of the century and the crane from which we need to highlight its wooden shaft, manufactured in Great Britain”. The crane retains at its bottom the name of the manufacturing company “Lloyds – Foster & Company”, and the name of the English town of Wednesbury, located halfway between Manchester and Birmingham.
The patrimony of the piers of the road is municipal, the result of an urban development agreement signed between RENFE and the Town Council of Tàrrega in 2003. This agreement allowed the city to recover an industrial heritage of great historical value, as well as the construction of a public car park and the start of work to rehabilitate the crane and all the loading docks by the Escuela la Solana de Tàrrega. The aim of the rehabilitation was to adapt them and integrate them as a public space for civic and cultural use. The rehabilitation works were stopped by political decision of the municipal government in 2011.
We trust that the future plans previewed in this place, will take advantage, respect and integrate the patrimonial and historical group of the docks of the way. They are a cultural attraction that everyone likes and that in time will become a must for tourists.
Jaume Ramon Solé.
1. URTX number 10. “Patrimoni Industrial de l’Urgell”, 1997. Roger Costa Solé and Carles Garcia Hermosilla.