Exterior of the Torre del Codina

Location, history and nature:

The Rural House of “La Torre del Codina”, is located in the northernmost part of the old Talladell terminus, 4 km from the village, in the municipality of Tàrrega.

SITUATION OF LA TORRE DEL CODINA

The territory, known as “La Putxa”, is located on the road to Granyena, near the edge of the municipality of Tàrrega, and next to the municipal districts of Granyanella / La Mora and Grañena. TheTorre del Codina is located at a height of 490 meters above sea level. The building dates from the eighteenth century and is listed as a cultural asset of local interest.

La Torre del Codina abans d'iniciar les obres de rehabilitació.
The Torre del Codina before starting the rehabilitation works.

 

 

D. J. CODINA 1891

The building has had several reforms over the centuries, the last was at the end of the 19th century, and we can read it at the original doors of the courtyard that are restored at the entrance of the house: “D. J. CODINA 1891”.

D. J. CODINA 1891
D. J. CODINA 1891

Joaquim Codina Canut, of Talladell was the heir of a rich family of landowners, who during the 19th century occupied important liberal political positions, his brother Felipe, was the provincial chief of the Progressive party during the monarchy of Isabel II and in the first years of the Sexenio Democratic. He was also Provincial Deputy and Senator (1871/72).

The daughter of Don Joaquim, Dolors Codina i Arnau, was appointed mayor of Talladell in 1924 during the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera. This fact makes her the first Catalan and Spanish mayor.

Dolors Codina Arnau, Alcaldessa del Talladell.
Dolors Codina Arnau, Mayoress of the Talladell.

A date to highlight, is the one that is in the lintel of stone of the entrance in the patio of the house: “To 8T 7 of 1753”. The order of the date, we see it following the Iberian or Basque system, “month, day and year”. This date of October 7, 1753, was Sunday and is the date of the feast of the Virgin of the Rosary that has a chapel in the church of Talladell.

A Octubre 7 de 1753
To October 7 of 1753

To understand the influence of the religious fact in the old regime, it is worth mentioning that also on Sunday, October 7, 1571, the Battle of Lepanto took place, on the Greek Peloponnese peninsula, of the Mediterranean powers against the Ottoman Empire. In commemoration of the victory, Pope Pius V established the festivity of the Rosary by the intervention of the Virgin in victory. In this battle they had an outstanding participation the fleet of the Crown of Aragon, and the ships of the Order of the Knights of the Hospital (Military Order of St. John of Malta), which had the Delegation of Granyena one of the main delegations and properties of the order to the Language of Aragon. The same Delegation of Granyena came from the properties of the Order of the Temple, of which Granyena in was the first Catalan delegation and one of the most prosperous of all the order. As an example, he mentioned that in medieval times, the richest orchard area of ​​Tàrrega was known with the place name of Granyena Plana, and much of the Talladell term was property of the Order of the Temple as it is still observed in the current coat of arms of the people, who carry the cross of the Templars on the shield of Catalonia.

Escut del Talladell de l'any 1879.
Coat of arms of the Talladell of the year 1879.

In the parish of Talladell we have found a document of 1737, which mentions the place as Torre de Reixachs, and the following year in 1738 as Torre del Codina.

Llibre de combregar. Parròquia del Talladell 1708.
Book of communion Parish of Talladell 1738.

In 1805 it begins to appear in some documents as “Casa Nueva del Codina”. The Torre del Codina was left to inhabit after the consequences of the great snowfall of the month of February of 1944.

Protected Natural Space

The Torre del Codina is located within the natural space of the Zepa de Granyena. In its environment we can find a great diversity of fauna and flora typical of the steppe areas. Among the birds protected by the EU directive we can find the Short-toed Eagle, the Eaglet, the Montagu’s Harrier, the little bustard, the stone curlew, the Duke, the Chotacabras, the Rattlesnake, the Calandria, the Vulgar Terrera, the Dark Cogullada, the Cotoliu or small cogullada, the Found or titina, the Rabilarga warbler, and the Perdicera eagle. The badger, the hare and the fox are common mammals of the environment, as well as amphibians, insects and plants, flowers and trees rare in the rest of the country, such as Servera.

Albellerol.(Merops Apiaster)
Albellerol. (Merops Apiaster)

Center for the interpretation of rural and agricultural life:

The Torre del Codina is a model building of rural architecture of considerable dimensions. It is a building designed for agricultural and livestock exploitation, while performing functions of sporadic residence of its owners and served as accommodation for harvesters and harvesters in the times of greatest need for labor in the field. It would also have had lodging or hostel functions.

The house has a cellar, stable, corral, wine and grain wineries, bakery, cistern and sink to store the oil.

Antic forn, abans de restaurar.
Old oven, before restoring.

The proportions of the main building are square 10 meters by 10 meters, and a height of 12 meters. It is oriented from southeast to northwest, in order to achieve optimal use of sunlight throughout the year.

The set of spaces and buildings of the Torre del Codina have a defensive character. Closed on all sides and easy to defend. Its privileged location at an altitude of 480 meters above sea level, and visible from several places (El Talladell, Campanario de Tàrrega, Torre de Verdú, Ametlla de Segarra, Vilagrassa, etc.) allowed it to have permanent visual contact with the inhabited places of the environment.

The main entrance of the Torre del Codina leads to a large patio from where on the right you access the upper part of the winepresses where the brescats were to trample the grapes with your feet. The two wineries, made of ceramic tiles have a capacity to store 70,000 liters of must.

From the patio you can access the main entrance of the house which has on its ground floor the old block currently enabled as a game room of the rural house.

The rehabilitation project has faithfully maintained the image of the house, and only restores and consolidates the most degraded parts of it.

Rural House Distribution:

The house, which can accommodate 15 people, consists of:

  • 4 floors
  • 6 rooms two triples and four doubles with bathroom (shower included) each one.
  • Along with the kitchen, there is the 100 m2 living and dining room.
  • A patio of 120 m2.
  • Leisure room of 34 m2.
  • Covered garage with capacity for 4 vehicles.
  • Machine room for installations and heating.
  • All the energy consumed in the house is generated by renewable energies (a windmill, heating with biomass boiler, photovoltaic panels and thermal energy).
  • A balcony and terrace with good views.
  • A wood-fired oven.
  • Two wineries
  • A stone cistern for collecting rainwater.
  • A corral with four stone arches.
  • Two vats of wine.

In addition, the services of the house are several:

  • Underfloor heating.
  • Recall that the living room, dining room and kitchen are in the same room of 100 m2, and their services are:
  • Kitchen equipped with refrigerator, oven, microwave, hob, sink and the necessary utensils for cooking.
  • Living room with sofas, armchairs, fireplace and television with DVD.
  • Dishwasher and washing machine.
  • Dining room with table for fourteen people.
  • Internet wifi service.
  • Slides for children.

 

 

Jaume Ramon i Solé.

Comments are closed.