The Church of Verdú is dedicated to Santa Maria, although originally there was another dedicated to Sant Nicolau de Bari. The current church can be dated to the end of the 13th century, due to the austerity of the Cistercian order. It consisted of a single nave, but the growth of the population led to the progressive expansion. The first altarpiece presiding over the altar was entrusted to Jaume Ferrer, one of the most renowned painters in the lands of Lleida at that time. Today that altarpiece is preserved in the Episcopal Museum of Vic.
The church according to the needs of the population was extended, ending up being a church with three covered naves, the central one with pointed barrel vault and the two lateral ones with cross vault, giving testimony of the time in which they performed it.
From a later period is the carving of the Purissima, in Baroque style made by Agustí Pujol between 1623-1626. Also noteworthy is the apse of the right nave of the temple dedicated to Sant Flavià. Verdú obtained the relics, and the altarpiece disappeared during the Civil War. On the left there is also a tombstone made in 1586 by Archbishop Joan Terés, son of the town.
Also noteworthy is the image of Christ, the oldest, most prized and most revered image in Verdú. Dated to the end of the 13th-14th century, which Verdú implores in times of drought and epidemics.
Mention should be made of the current paintings that decorate the altar, the work of the Tarragona painter Jaume Minguell, executed between 1955-56.
Font: Ajuntament de Verdú